Monday, January 25, 2010

Garlic Fries

I like baked fries. I don't deep fry anything, ever. I'll occasionally pan-fry things but it's rare. So. Like I said, I like baked fries. I don't often make them though because I am lazy about chopping up potatoes. But tonight, I remembered that we got a mandolin for our wedding so I used that and had perfectly cut fries in about 5 minutes. Genius! This creation of perfectly sliced potatoes worked against us this time, however. Because they were so uniformly thin, they burned very quickly! The recipe says to bake them for 35 minutes but by the 20 minute mark they were singed. Thank you to our often-malfunctioning smoke alarm for tipping me off that they were overdone! I managed to salvage some but they were all pretty crispy. If I make this again I would definitely need to either reduce the temperature or the cooking time. It was yummy, even all toasty!

fries

Garlic "Fries"
Ellie Krieger

3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 large baking potatoes, 12 ounces each
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Heat the garlic and oil in a small saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Strain the garlic from the oil with a small mesh strainer. Set both garlic and oil aside.

Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch sticks. In a large bowl, toss the oil, potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread the potatoes onto it in a single layer. Bake until golden and crisp, about 35 minutes.

Remove potatoes from the tray with a metal spatula. Toss with parsley, reserved garlic, and additional salt, to taste. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: