Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Couscous and Food Changes

Tonight I made Couscous with Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Edamame - one of my favorites! It was super-fast which was great because Gibby had class til 10 and I worked late so I didn't eat til after 9!

I will take this opportunity to discuss the different changes we are making in our eating habits. First of all, we are making a conscious effort to consume more vegetables and fruits. We've been buying melons and cutting the whole thing up at the beginning of the week and then eating it for breakfast or with meals, for example. Second, we are attempting to purchase certain organic foods - things that grow in the ground, like potatoes, and things with thin skins, like peppers. I'd like to grow our own peppers sometime so we don't have to pay so much. We have also switched to 1% organic milk and I've found that I do not get stomach-aches from it like I do with 'regular' milk. Unsure why. It's neat though. Also getting free-range eggs. In keeping with our attempts to reduce our consumption of chemicals, we are trying to buy less processed foods (this is difficult) and have switched to buying diced tomatoes in boxes instead of in cans due to BPA coating on the inside of tomato cans.

Now. I don't know if we're buying too much into the fads or anything, but I've been doing a lot of reading and I think we're making reasonable choices. I've been reading about how Americans consume more chemicals than almost any other country so I'm hoping to reduce that in some way. Are you making any changes to the way you eat?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you're making changes!
I'm definitely on board with the reduction of processed foods. In line with that, I'm also seriously trying to cut sugars... since so many foods we eat were never a part of regular diets and sometimes have more sugar in one serving than we should have in multiple days!
Good luck!