Friday, December 11, 2009

Giant Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I have had a rough week (I said that earlier) and a bad morning (though it turned around in the afternoon) and when I came home, he'd gotten me flowers, had a nice steamy cup of peppermint chai waiting for me, and had just baked these wonderful cookies. I've been meaning to make them all week and have had the recipe sitting out on the counter but I just haven't had the motivation. So he made them! And they are AWESOME. They blow Tollhouse cookies out of the water. Yummy and fluffy and kind of cake-like but crisp at the same time. They are REALLY good. This will now be our go-to chocolate chip cookie.

cookies

chai

Giant Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Cooking Light, June 2009

"My grandkids love these cookies because they're nice and big, with lots of chocolate chips. They're easy to freeze—just wrap individually in heavy-duty plastic wrap, and store in a zip-top bag." —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Mich.

5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray

1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, soda, and salt in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.

2. Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg whites; beat well. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.

3. Preheat oven to 350°.

4. Divide dough into 6 equal portions; place dough portions 2 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes on pan; cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 6 cookies

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Aw - go Gibby :) So sweet!

I love your food blog, by the way. I'm always "favoriting" recipes, though I haven't tried very many yet.

This one will definitely go on my list of ones to make as I'm not a huge fan of the current chocolate chip cookie recipe that we use.