Monday, October 05, 2009

Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Couscous

Quick recap of the past couple days:

1) Lunch at Chevy Chase Club in Chevy Chase, MD with the grandma on Saturday.
2) Catered Greek food at friend's wedding in Potomac, MD on Saturday.
3) Brunch made by my friend/former coworker on Sunday.
4) PIZZA last night because after such a busy weekend I was NOT in the mood to cook.

Also just want to throw in that I am very sad about Gourmet magazine shutting down :( You may know from reading my blog that I often make recipes from Gourmet and they're usually pretty good. Granted, I don't subscribe anymore because I cut down on subscriptions to magazines a few years ago and never started that one back up, so I get my recipes from their website, but it still makes me sad. It's an excellent magazine.

That being said, switching from super-foodie Gourmet over to easy weeknight Real Simple, I made this super-easy dinner in about 10 minutes. Most stuff is on-hand (at least in my kitchen), especially with super-convenient frozen shrimp. Lately I've found that having shrimp in the freezer at all times is a good idea. We didn't love this - it is NOT lemony at all - but it was still pretty good. I used a pine nut couscous that was very yummy and added to it all.

shrimp

Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Couscous
Real Simple, Feb 09

1 10-ounce box couscous (1 1/2 cups)
Kosher salt and black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in the couscous and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and let sit off heat for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork before serving.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and scallions and cook for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until they begin to turn pink, about 3 minutes.

Stir in the beans, parsley, lemon juice, the remaining butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the couscous.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: