Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Truffled Wild Mushrooms over Whipped White Beans

I found some truffle oil at the grocery store for a relatively low price so of course I picked some up! I didn't puree the bean mixture in a food processor because I am lazy. I used a pre-packaged wild mushroom blend - I think it had shiitake, oyster, and cremini? Not sure. It was very yummy though. I don't know if I would make it again, but I really liked it. You have to REALLY like mushrooms though! And since this was my first time really having truffle oil, I must say, you REALLY have to like mushrooms to appreciate it. It is so strong!

mushrooms

Truffled Wild Mushrooms over Whipped White Beans
Vegetarian Times, April 2007

Truffle oil and earthy wild mushrooms turn a simple ragoût into a sublime main dish. Truffle oil is a worthwhile investment. A few drops can transform roasted vegetables, bean dishes and even a plain ol’ bowl of mashed potatoes.

2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 medium leek, white and pale green parts chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 lb. wild mushrooms, halved
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. truffle oil

1. Heat 1 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add leek and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in beans, broth, garlic and thyme. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer bean mixture to food processor and blend until creamy and smooth. Return to skillet, cover and keep warm.

2. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in medium skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté 8 minutes, or until soft and brown. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in parsley.

3. Spoon whipped bean mixture into shallow bowls. Top with equal portions of mushrooms. Drizzle each serving with 1/2 tsp. truffle oil, and serve.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: