Saturday, September 12, 2009

Monster Cookies

Holy moly, just wait til you see this recipe. It makes a ginormous amount of cookies. And I HALVED the recipe. I came up with around 8-9 dozen, and I still had some dough left but I just couldn't handle any more cookies (!!!) so I stopped. These are the ingredients:
ingredients

You may notice there is no flour. I am still wondering if that's a typo because it seems weird, but there isn't any flour in the recipe. How very strange. It holds together alright though.

As of right now, I have about 16 cookies in a box to go to Annie, a few dozen to take to work, a couple dozen on the counter to eat throughout the week, a big container in the refrigerator, and two containers in the freezer. It's a good thing these cookies taste good because we have more of them than anyone would ever need.

I can't even imagine what would have happened if I'd made the whole recipe. As is, this is what my mixing bowl looked like by the end of it:
dough

Why so many pictures? I was in and out of the kitchen every 10 minutes! I was SO RELIEVED when I put the last pan in the oven:
last

And then they were done.
cookies

Depending on how well they mail and how well-received they are at work, I may consider making these again. Luckily for everyone, they're very yummy! Ok.... ready for this recipe? Prepare yourself!

cookies

Monster Cookies
Penzey's One

This is a monster simply because of the huge quantities used to make it, though they are so good they would turn any monsters under the bed into pussycats. If you make the whole batch there'll be plenty for the freezer (you will never be short of a cookie with this as a standby), but the recipe can be cut in half or even quartered for a more normal-sized batch or if you'd like to make them all at once.

12 eggs
1 lb butter, room temperature (4 sticks)
2 lbs brown sugar
4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup vanilla extract
3 lbs crunchy peanut butter (4 1/2 cups)
8 tsp baking soda
18 cups quick cook oats (a 42 oz drum plus 3 more cups!)
1 lb chocolate chips (2 heaped cups)
1 lb M&Ms (2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl (a really large bowl - we had a 13 quart stainless steel bowl that worked fine), cream together eggs, butter, sugars, and vanilla extract. Mix in the other ingredients by hand to form a stiff dough. Make sure the oats are the quick-cooking variety, as they make the cookies fluffier than regular oats. Bake teaspoons full of dough on a greased cookie sheet for about 10 minutes.

Yield: Billions

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I want some!!