Friday, September 18, 2009

Curried Sweet Potato and Cheddar Pizza with Pickled Red Onions

Several years ago I went to Veggie Planet for pizza and I got the Veggie Planet cookbook and I've made some of Didi Emmons's recipes before. She's known for her vegetarian pizzas. So tonight I decided to use up some more of the sweet potatoes (I still have MORE, too!) in a unique pizza that sounded a little scary at first. I didn't make my own pizza dough and I used Pillsbury pizza dough instead. I did make the pickled onions and I think the pizza would be just fine without them. The pizza itself is fantastic and delicious. I loved it to pieces. We would definitely make this again.

pizza

Curried Sweet Potato and Cheddar Pizza with Pickled Red Onions
Vegetarian Planet (Didi Emmons) as posted on CLBB

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
6 garlic cloves minced
4 Tbsp canola oil
2 tsp garam masala or ground star anise (optional)
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
6 pizza crusts
3 cups grated white cheddar cheese
3/4 cup Pretty Pickled Red Onions (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, garlic, and oil and toss well. Add spices and salt and toss to coat the cubes. Spread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheets and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Increase oven temp to 500 degrees.

Put crust on a baking sheet or pizza stone. Distribute sweet potato over the dough. Distribute cheddar among the pizzas. bake until crust is browned in spots, about 10 minutes. Top with Pretty Pickled Red Onions. Serve immediately.

Pretty Pickled Red Onions
makes 1 1/2 cups

1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

In a small saucepan, combine onion, sugar, and vinegar over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. let stand 15 minutes. Transfer onions and their liquid into a glass bowl or jar, cover, and refrigerate.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Ohh, this sounds SO good! And maybe a good way to trick my husband into making/eating sweet potatoes - he claims he doesn't like them but thin that's just because we're not very creative with using them!

(also - I love your new page layout! CUPCAKES!!!)