Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BLT with Avocado Spread

I will be honest - I didn't get particularly far with this recipe. The avocado ended up being crappy so I couldn't really use it, but I did my best. I definitely would like to make this again and see how well it turns out. From what I could discern, it was very yummy. I loved my meal. It was a very tasty, quick weeknight dinner.

I do not have a picture because I was hungry.
But I did take one when I made it again on December 17, 2009:
BLT

BLT with Avocado Spread
Self, February 2004

Up the nutritional ante of the traditional BLT by trading white bread for whole-wheat to add fiber, subbing leaner bacon to shave calories and fat and topping it with romaine lettuce instead of iceberg for a dose of vitamin A. Don't worry — you won't miss the mayo when you taste this zingy avocado spread.

Spread
1 extra ripe avocado
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper


Sandwich
8 slices turkey bacon (Note: I subbed vegetarian bacon)
8 slices whole-wheat bread
8 leaves romaine lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, cut into 12 slices
1 small red onion, thinly sliced

Combine spread ingredients in a bowl. Mash until smooth and set aside. Prepare bacon as directed on package; drain thoroughly on paper towels. Toast bread. Place 4 slices on 4 plates. Spread an equal amount of avocado spread on each slice. Top each with 1/4 of the bacon, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Cover each with another slice of toast. Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: