Thursday, September 24, 2009

Barley, Black Bean, And Corn Burritos

I thought I'd be all clever and start dinner in the crockpot, run it for around 10 hours and then get home at 6-ish to eat. Except I ended up staying late at work and didn't get home until 8! So the food was a little burned. I'm still trying to soak out the crockpot and it's all burned on. But the part that wasn't burned on was DELICIOUS! We decided we should tweak the cooking time (I shouldn't have run it on low for 10 hours, I should have run it for the specified time and then just let it be 'warm' for the final few hours). We would make this again. Probably will since I'm out so late. It was really nice to come home and have dinner ready.

burrito

Barley, Black Bean, And Corn Burritos
Cooking Light Slowcooker Cookbook

1 (15-ounce) can black beans -- rinsed and drained
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles -- undrained
1 cup uncooked pearl barley
2 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 garlic clove -- minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
18 flour tortillas -- (6 1/2-inch)
1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese -- PLUS
2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese -- (4 1/2 ounces total)
9 cups thinly sliced curly leaf lettuce
2 1/4 cups salsa
1 cup fat-free sour cream -- PLUS
2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream

Place first 11 ingredients in a 3- to 4-quart electric slow cooker; stir well. Cover with lid; cook on low-heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until barley is tender. Stir in cilantro.

Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/3 cup barley mixture down center of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up. Place 1 cup lettuce on each of 9 plates; top each with 2 burritos. Spoon 1/4 cup salsa and 2 tablespoons sour cream over each serving.

Yield: 9 servings

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh, yum! How did I just now find your blog? I've added you to my google reader!