Sunday, August 16, 2009

Possibly The Best Ever Lemon Squares

That really is the title of this recipe. And I agree with it. I have never had such yummy lemon bars. I love lemon, but I often find lemon bars to be too eggy. This one is PERFECT. I would make this a bajillion times. I'm sure I'll try variations on lemon bars in the future, but for a good, standard, plain lemon bar, this is IT.

lemon bars

Possibly The Best Ever Lemon Squares
Cookie Madness

Crust:
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (114 grams)
1/3 cup powdered sugar — plus extra for garnishing
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/8 teaspoon salt (just use ¼ tsp plus an extra pinch)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Filling:
2 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons half & half
1/8 teaspoon salt

Don’t preheat oven quite yet. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray

Pulse flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt in food processor. Add butter and process to blend, 8 to 10 seconds, then pulse until coarse. Pour what will seem like a very *dry* mixture into lined pan and press over pan bottom. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. While it chills, you can make the filling.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. When oven is preheated, bake the pre-chilled crust (above) for 18-20 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned.

Filling: Lightly beat the eggs, sugar, and flour together in a bowl. I used a fork. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, half and half, and salt and mix well.

Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Stir filling again, then pour filling over **warm** crust. Bake for 20 minutes or until filling no longer appears wet and shaky.

Set on a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Lift from pan, place on cutting board, dust with extra powdered sugar and cut into bars.

Cut into a dozen squares.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Mmm... that sounds delish! Perhaps I will try it! (Though I've been making way too many baked goods lately for me and Neal's waistlines.)

I totally forgot about your food blog. I'm going to have to add it to my Google!Reader.

:)

Carrie said...

lol - two years later and this still sounds fabulous yet I haven't made it. I wonder how many carbs are in a serving...

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh, I'm back for yet another comment and still haven't made these! HA!

I've found some variations online for low carb versions, but I'm going to try tweaking your recipe, substituting low carb ingredients instead. :) Soon. VERY soon. I won't let another year pass without trying these. :)