Saturday, August 15, 2009

Great Tostadas

My mom used to make these all the time when I was growing up. Like at least once every two weeks. It's super-easy to throw together and is always yummy. When you put the tortillas in the oven (recommended temp: 425F for about 5-7 minutes) they start to brown around the edges and get puffy in the middle. I have no idea where my mom got this recipe from, and she probably doesn't know either. But we like it and it's good. This was, oddly, the first time I've made it myself. I should make them more often.

If you are wondering why the recipe calls for "frozen tortillas," it is because my mom used to freeze tortillas. I did that for awhile when I first moved out, and then I decided it was weird so I started storing them in the pantry. Do what you will.

tostadas

Great Tostadas
My Mom!

6-8 frozen tortillas
1 can refried beans
2 cups chopped lettuce
1 tomato, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
Grated cheese
Sour cream
Salsa, mild or hot

Bake the tortillas until they are crisp.

Make the salad with the lettuce, onions, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. You may need more salt and pepper.

Microwave the refried beans for 2 1/2 minutes.

Let each person cover his/her tortilla with the beans. Top with a little salsa and then cover with a spoonful or two of the salad.

Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, and salsa.

2 comments:

Diann said...

Ooops. I guess I forgot to tell you to take a fork or pointy object and poke several little holes in the tortillas before baking. That way they won't puff up. And the reason the recipe says "frozen" is because I started making these when we were shopping at the Air Force Commissary, and they only sold frozen tortillas. So there!!! :-)

Lisa said...

I'm gonna try making this! It's at about my level of commitment when it comes to cooking.