Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

I have made cuban beans before (here) and did not love it. I described it as being nothing but beans on rice. Tonight's recipe for cuban beans was still just beans on rice, but much more flavorful than the previous one. I would, in theory, make this again but I probably won't.

It should be noted that I have a ginormous stockpile of dried beans from my former boss (still!) and never really knew how to use them. Thanks to this recipe, I now know to soak the beans while I am at work and then come home and use them. I will probably substitute dried for canned in future recipes when possible so I can use up the huge pile in my pantry!

beans

Cuban Black Beans and Rice
Penzey's One Volume 3, Issue 5, 2009
Adapted on 2cupsofcoffee.blogspot.com

1 pound dried black beans (about 2 cups)
12 cups water, divided
2/3 cup olive oil
1 cup red wine
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I used 1/2 green and 1/2 red)
4 cloves garlic, minded
1 whole bay leaf
1 T. dried Mexican Oregano
1 T. epazote
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1 T. salt
2 T. sugar
2 T. red wine vinegar
3-4 cups cooked rice

1. Rinse the beans well, discarding any debris or floaters. Put the beans and half of the water (6 cups) in a large stockpot and soak for at least 5 hours or overnight. Just before cooking, drain and rinse the beans. Place in a pot with the remaining water (6 cups).

2. Add the olive oil, wine, onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, epazote, cumin, pepper, salt and sugar to the pot. Place the pot on the stove over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered, for 45 minutes or until the beans are soft. Add the red wine vinegar and simmer, uncovered , to thicken the beans until ready to serve, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Optional: mash some of the beans against the side of the pot with a spoon.

3. Serve with rice

Yield: 6-8 servings

No comments: