Sunday, August 02, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes

You know... carrot cake, zucchini bread... why not chocolate cupcakes with zucchini in it? The zucchini IS NOT NOTICEABLE so don't get all grossed out. If he hadn't seen the recipe beforehand he wouldn't have known that it even had a vegetable in it. This recipe uses more oil and butter than I typically like to use, but it makes more than 2 dozen cupcakes so I think it's OK. I figure the fact that it provides at least a partial serving of vegetables evens things out. Right? I like these a lot. I used a dark premium cocoa so the chocolate is very rich. I also used mini chocolate chips so that they would be more disbursed throughout. I think the flavors works nicely, but to each their own. I probably wouldn't make this again unless I get my vegetable garden up and running by next summer and end up with an abundance of zucchini. Good way to sneak it in!

The notes in the recipe are not my own, except the one regarding the yield. It's from a cookbook, posted on a blog, posted to a forum. Do with it what you will. I did not use coconut oil because oh my goodness it has a lot of fat in it and is very expensive. Canola works just fine, thank you. Also I have no idea what the frosting recipe is because someone left it out while posting it along the way, so who knows? If you buy the cookbook or do some research online, maybe you'll find out. I liked it without the frosting but it would be yummy with frosting too.

zucchini

Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
Rebar cookbook
via 101cookbooks.com

1 1/2 cups (360 mL) brown sugar
1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
3/4 cup (180 mL) vegetable oil (hs note: I used unrefined, scented, all-natural coconut oil)
3 eggs
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1/2 cup (120 mL) buttermilk
2 cups (480 mL) grated zucchini
1 cup (240 mL) chocolate chips
2 cups (480 mL) unbleached flour
1 cup (240 mL) cocoa, sifted
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
2 tsp (10 mL) baking soda
1 tsp (5 mL) allspice
1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease large muffin pans and line with muffin cups.

In a medium bowl mix together the sugar, butter and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well Incorporated. Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, zucchini and chocolate chips.

In a separate bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients and mix until well combined. Spoon batter into large muffin pans. Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, while preparing the icing (hs note: I made these without the icing, also - don't overcook them or you will lose all the moist goodness - you want them to look almost done in the oven - they will continue to cook for a few minutes after you pull them from the oven from the residual heat).

Yield: 20 (Lauren's Note: I got 2 dozen, with extra batter)

No comments: