Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Pan Bagnat (Vegetarian)

I like sandwiches, but it is hard to find good vegetarian sandwich fillings. We've made the kind that use tuna (here) and it was yummy. It is kind of similar to this recipe except that one really was not yummy at all. Tonight's dinner, in my opinion, was delicious and convenient. I assembled the sandwich when I got home from work and ignored it for awhile. I thought it was great. I would make it again for myself. Of the optional toppings, I used all of them except the anchovies, capers, and I only used oregano of the herbs. Otherwise, I used all of the stuff. It was awesome. Especially on a nice loaf of Panera bread. Yum!

Note about the recipe: for some reason when I copied it from wherever I copied it from, the amounts turned into question marks. I just guessed. I mean, it's a sandwich. It's not like you need exact amounts.

sammich

Pan Bagnat
Moosewood Cooks at Home / CLBB (Alethea)

1 baguette or other long thin loaf of French bread
1 garlic clove, pressed
? c. olive oil
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
? red or sweet onion, thinly sliced
? c. pitted and sliced kalamata or other olives
salt and ground pepper

optional ingredients
4 oz. sliced mild provolone or other cheese
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 green or red bell pepper, thinly sliced
? c. capers
? c. roasted red peppers, chopped or cut into thin slices
anchovies to taste
1 c. artichoke hearts, sliced into quarters
? c. pesto
herbs, such as basil, marjoram, thyme, oregano

Slice bread in half lengthwise, nearly all the way through. Open the loaf and spread the garlic on one of the cut sides. Drizzle the olive oil over both sides. Layer the tomato, cucumber, onion, olives, and any optional ingredients on one half of the bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Close the loaf and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Weight the full length of the Pan Bagnat with a heavy book (or baking tray topped with bricks or other heavy weight) for 1-3 hours.
Slice and serve.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: