Monday, July 20, 2009

Bananaberry Bombs

The abundance of blueberries in the grocery stores has been inspiring so I picked this super-healthy banana-blueberry muffin recipe to make for our usual Sunday treat. They are very yummy!! He did not really like it because it turns out he doesn't like blueberry muffins much. Did I know this? He said he and muffins are not really friends. I am not sure this is true because I think he has liked other muffins. But whatever. I like them. They are yummy. Nice banana flavor, nice blueberry flavor. I used fresh blueberries which I thought was wonderful. I would make these again.

muffins

Bananaberry Bombs
Looneyspoons by Janet Podleski
as posted on CLBB (Nurse2B2010)

1 c. quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 c. each all purpose flour and whole wheat flour
1/4 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. mashed bananas (make sure they're ripe)
2 egg whites
1/4 c. reduced fat butter or margarine, melted (not fat free)
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine oats, flours, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir well and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together bananas, egg whites, and melted butter until smooth. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.

Spray large muffin tin with non stick spray (or use paper liners). Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20 min. or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Yield: 1 dozen

No comments: