Friday, July 24, 2009

Banana French Toast

My mom belongs to a women's group called P.E.O. and one of the things they did awhile ago was have a recipe exchange, or something of that sort. My mom sent me a whole bunch of the recipes. One was for this french toast. It sounded so yummy but I tucked it away. But I scheduled it for this week finally! I made it yesterday morning and then put it in the refrigerator til we got home (We both got home at 7:30). We popped it in the oven for 50 minutes and went about our business until the beeper finally went off and we got to eat. We were very hungry at that point. Dinner did not disappoint. It was very rich and yummy. Not too eggy, as I find French Toast often is. I really liked it. We would make this again.

toast

Banana French Toast
PEO Chapter G Book Brunch

8 slices Sun-Maid Raisin Bread
2 medium bananas, cut into ¼-inch slices
1 Cup Milk
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 large eggs
1/3 Cup sugar
3 Tbsps all-purpose flour
2 tsp vanilla
Powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange 4 slices of raisin bread in a single layer in a buttered 9-inch square baking dish. Top with banana slices and remaining bread. Combine milk, cream cheese, eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Pour mixture over raisin bread. Let stand 5 minutes or cover and chill overnight. Bake on middle shelf of oven until set and top is golden, about 40 - 45 minutes (50-55 minutes if mixture was refrigerated.) Let stand 10 minutes. Cut French toast in diagonal halves and transfer to plates with a spatula. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.

Yield: 8 servings

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I love french toast and I love fruit - this looks heavenly :)

Stacie Wall said...

Can it be any kind of raisin bread?

Lauren said...

Of course! I always just post recipes the way they were presented to me. We didn't use Sun-Maid bread. I don't know if they even make it anymore. We used a nice Pepperidge Farm version.