Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vegetable Rolls with Chili Mayonnaise

I made something similar to these one time (here) and had similar results: impressive yet easy to make, but very difficult to eat. I thought tonight's vegetable rolls were very good but he didn't like them at all. I'm not sure why. Also I have no idea why Giada de Laurentiis came up with this because it is not Italian.

I found real rice paper wraps this time so that was cool. They turn clear! It's so neat. I also used sambal oelek instead of sriracha because I decided to spice things up (teehee, I made a pun)! Sambal Oelek is a little less spicy than sriracha but it's not as smooth and has seeds. It will be fun to use them interchangeably (though my heart belongs to sriracha).

We wouldn't make these again but I thought they were yummy. I just wish we knew of a more efficient, less messy way to eat them.

It should also be noted that I severely injured myself with the grater while grating a carrot. Should've bought pre-shredded carrot! There is blood, but it will stop eventually as per usual. Not like this is the first (or last) time I'll do something stupid in the kitchen.

chili mayo

Vegetable Rolls with Chili Mayonnaise
Giada de Laurentiis

For the Chili Mayonnaise
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Asian chili sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar

For the Vegetable Rolls
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, cored and cut into thin slices
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded, cored and cut into thin slices
1 large carrot, shredded
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
6 rice paper rounds
6 butter lettuce leaves, ribs removed
1 1/2 cups cooked cellophane noodles or bean threads, cooled

For the Chili Mayonnaise: In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, chili sauce, lemon juice, fish sauce, garlic, and brown sugar.

For the Vegetable Rolls: In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, carrot, mint, and basil. Add the Chili Mayonnaise and toss well.

Lay a damp kitchen or paper towel on a work surface. Soak a rice paper round in warm water for 20 to 30 seconds until softened. Place the rice paper on the damp towel. Lay a lettuce leaf in the middle of the rice paper and spoon some of the vegetable mixture on top. Place 1/4 cup of the cellophane noodles on top of the vegetable mixture. Roll the rice paper around the filling and seal the ends with a little water. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Store the finished vegetable rolls in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours wrapped in damp paper towels.

Yield: 6 rolls

No comments: