Sunday, June 07, 2009

Mesa Grill

I've been watching Bobby Flay since I was 11 or 12, pre-Food Network. I think he's a jerk and I love him at the same time. I've always wanted to go to Mesa Grill, one of his restaurants in New York City. And now that we live an hour-ish outside the city, it's easy to go there! And our parents were able to come, too! So we had an early celebration for my birthday, which isn't until the end of the month. This is going to be a crazy photo-filled post so prepare yourself. And yes I'm aware that many photos suck. I couldn't use flash or it was too bright, so I had to go without. I'm going to break it into sections.

The Setting
mesa
Here is the inside of the restaurant. We were up on a balcony.

The Family
me and gibby
Me & the husband

family
Nancy (mother-in-law), Marc (brother), my mom, my dad, and Gibby

Appetizers
asparagus
My dad had Grilled Asparagus Salad with toasted pecans, Maytag blue cheese, wild roasted mushrooms, and red chile-mustard vinaigrette. It was really yummy (we all tasted around).

squash
Nancy and I both got Crispy Squash Blossoms with ricotta, corn, sweet + hot yellow pepper sauce. I've always wanted to try squash blossoms. These were incredible!

chopped
My mom got Sophie's Chopped Salad with her own special dressing and crispy tortillas, which was a big salad of apples and olives and cotija cheese and tortillas and some other stuff. It was pretty good.

goat cheese
My brother got Goat Cheese "Queso Fundido" with rajas + blue corn tortilla chips, much to everyone's surprise (he is usually not adventurous). I tried it. I still don't like goat cheese. He liked it though.

tamale
Gibby got the Shrimp + Roasted Garlic Corn Tamale with fresh corn + cilantro sauce and LOVED it. It was very good. We'd never had tamales before.

Entrees
bison
My dad ordered the "plate of the day," which was Spice-Rubbed Bison Filet with corn + ancho chile sauces + crispy red onion. He liked it a lot. He didn't like the glazed carrots he ordered along with it. They were really boring.

chile relleno
I got the Cornmeal-Crusted Chile Relleno filled with roasted eggplant + Manchego cheese with sweet red pepper sauce + balsamic vinegar. Absolutely amazing. Very, very yummy. Not too spicy though, even for a poblano pepper. This is a recurring theme.

salmon
Gibby got the Chipotle Glazed Rib Eye with red + green chile sauce. He thought it was good but he was thoroughly disappointed because it was not at all spicy.

steak
Nancy ordered the Ancho Chile-Honey Glazed Salmon with a spicy black bean sauce, tomatillo salsa, + roasted jalapeno crema. She really liked it. It wasn't spicy.

steak
Marc went for a classic with the Spice Rubbed New York Strip Steak with house-made Mesa steak sauce. Bobby Flay is known for his steak sauce. Marc liked this.

tuna
My mom got Mango + Spice-Crusted Tuna Steak with green peppercorn-green chile sauce + toasted pinenut couscous. I tried it. It was very yummy. She liked it a lot.

Desserts
churros
Marc and Gibby both ordered the Churros dusted with cinnamon sugar + star anise with dark chocolate dipping sauce. Words cannot describe. We all agreed this was the best dish of the night. They both loved it so much that when they ran out of churros, they ate the chocolate with a spoon.

coconut
I ordered the Toasted Coconut Layer Cake with coconut cream sauce. I feel like he made this one time on Throwdown. Anyway the waiter had seen me opening presents from Nancy, so they put a candle in the cake and people sang happy birthday and I was really embarrassed, but the cake was amazing so it made up for it.

crostata
My dad ordered the Blackberry Mango Crostada with blackberry sauce + vanilla blackberry swirl ice cream. It was really yummy. He was really happy with it.

flan
I didn't try Nancy's Cafe Con Leche Flan with espresso caramel because I do not really like the texture of flan. She liked it though!!

pineapple
My mom got the Pineapple Buttermilk Upside-Down Cake with caramelized rum sauce + pineapple vanilla ice cream. I'd considered getting that too. It was really yummy.

So that was our crazy, one-time-visit to Mesa Grill. Loved it!

1 comment:

Diann said...

Well... sorry, but I didn't really Love the Pineapple upside down cake. It was ok. The pineapple ice cream didn't taste like pineapple.. and I think there was a lot of ginger in the dish, as it had a burning sensation. I didn't even notice any caramelized rum. So.. next time I'll know. The Tuna, however, was very Delicioso!!!!! Thanks for inviting us!