Sunday, June 07, 2009

Fruit Salad with Citrus-Mint Dressing

After last weekend's failed attempt at clams we tried again this week! Since it was the hotel's grill that screwed everything up, they bought us more clams. Except instead of little bottleneck clams, they bought us really big ones! We still made them the same way, with the grill and the finishing butter, but the big ones were so much brinier than the small ones. I didn't like them. I enjoyed my grilled bread with butter. Here are the clams:
clams

To go with it this week, I made another fruit salad. This one has melon, kiwi, and is supposed to have papaya but our papaya was too bitter so we left it out. I didn't make the dressing in my mini-chopper because I'd already used it for the pie (which I will post about tomorrow, probably) so I just chopped up the mint as fine as I could get it. This turned out great because there were little hints of mint but it wasn't overpowering. It was a really tasty fruit salad that we would happily make again.

fruit

Fruit Salad with Citrus-Mint Dressing
Cooking Light, April 2005

Serve this potassium-packed fruit salad (662 milligrams per serving) with breakfast or as a light dessert. Use a mini chopper to combine the dressing ingredients--it's the ideal size to blend the small amount of dressing for the salad.

6 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
2 cups (1 1/2-inch) cubes honeydew
2 cups (1 1/2-inch) cubes cantaloupe
1 medium papaya, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons mint
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange peel
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice

Combine kiwifruit, honeydew, cantaloupe, and papaya in a medium bowl.

Place sugar and remaining ingredients in a mini chopper food processor; pulse until mint is finely chopped. Pour sugar mixture over fruit, and stir gently to coat.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: