Monday, June 08, 2009

Crunchy Chocolate Truffle Pie

I've had this recipe for quite awhile (3 years?) and never tried it because... well... it sounds scary. It's vegan. It has tofu. But it's a pie. So I figured since we don't have an oven, I might as well try it out. It is super-easy to make. I bought some little 100-calorie packs of Mr.Salty chocolate-covered pretzels to smash up and pour on the pie. I gave it to him and he said, "What's weird about this? Something is not right." When I explained it was made with tofu he said, "Yup, that's it." He is not interested in eating any more of it. I, however, didn't think it tasted bad at all. Silken tofu has a liquidy texture to begin with so it's not like it was spongey like extra-firm tofu, and since it was pureed it was nice and smooth. Mixed with all the other ingredients, I felt like the nuttiness of the tofu blended in with the peanut butter. I liked this and would eat it again. For a vegan pie, it's pretty good!

pie

Crunchy Chocolate Truffle Pie
Vegetarian Times

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 12-oz. container firm silken tofu
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 9-inch premade graham cracker crust
1/2 cup chopped chocolate-covered pretzels

1. Place chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir chocolate, and heat 30 seconds more. Repeat heating and stirring until chocolate is just melted. Set aside.

2. Combine tofu and maple syrup in food processor, and blend 3 minutes, or until smooth. Add peanut butter, and process until smooth. Add melted chocolate, and process once more until smooth.

3. Pour peanut butter-chocolate mixture into pie crust, smoothing the top; refrigerate 20 minutes. Sprinkle pretzels on top, and serve, or refrigerate until ready to eat.

Yield: 12 servings

1 comment:

jem said...

OOoh it looks very intriguing. I know that my boyfriend wouldn't touch it either if he knew about the tofu.