Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Corn Chowder

I've made a lot of corn chowder in the past. Most had other things mixed in (1, 2). The one we made tonight was easy and didn't have a lot of ingredients, but I don't think it is better than my mom's recipe. It's a good soup, and I'd recommend it, it just isn't better than what we've already had.

Notes: I didn't use the "pickling cukes," I pureed the soup with an immersion blender, and I used light cream and vegetable stock.

chowder

Corn Chowder
Boston Globe

2 Tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
6 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off cobs
5 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup heavy cream
1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
2 pickling cukes, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1. In a soup pot, melt the butter and cook the onion over medium heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.

2. In a food processor, work half the corn kernels until they are coarsley ground. Add them to the onion with the whole kernels, stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Add the cream; taste for seasoning, and simmer 2 minutes more. Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each with yellow pepper, cukes, and parsley. Serve.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: