Thursday, June 18, 2009

Black-Eyed Pea Salad

Yesterday I had a terrible day and when I came home, all I wanted was to lie on the floor and order pizza. So that's what we did. Today I had a somewhat bad day, so I still made dinner, but it was this super easy "salad" that is eaten with pita chips. It is OK. It's nothing special. It did its job, fed us well, and we are happily watching Friends now. Not a make-again for us.

I discovered cilantro in a tube so I used that instead of fresh, I used red wine vinegar instead of rice wine because I lost the rice wine vinegar in the cabinet, and I used regular olive oil instead of garlic olive oil. I did use our fancy French gray sea salt though and it was yummy.

peas

Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Cooking Light, April 2009

Sides and Salads. "Organic tomatoes bring the best flavor to this vegetarian dish. I pick them straight from my garden, but you can substitute canned diced tomatoes." —Judy Holder, Elk City, Okla.

1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons roasted garlic extra-virgin olive oil (such as Consorzio)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups chopped peeled tomato (about 2 large)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and minced
1 (6-ounce) bag baked pita chips (such as Stacy's)

1. Combine salt and garlic in a medium bowl; mash with a fork until a paste consistency. Add vinegar, oil, and cumin, stirring with a whisk. Add tomato and next 4 ingredients (through pepper); toss well. Serve with pita chips.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: