Thursday, May 21, 2009

Kitchari with Cauliflower and Peas

Tuesday I ended up working really late so we went out for pizza and it was DELICIOUS because it's like real New York-style awesomeness because we're close enough for the overflow. I missed good pizza. My excuse for not cooking last night was that our hotel had a barbecue so there was no reason to cook!

Tonight I got out of work early so I made this dish with some of the basmati rice and split beans I toted from Maryland. "Toted" isn't the right word - all the grains and beans from Dr. R are in a HUGE box on top of the refrigerator. I don't think I will ever use all of them up. I will try my hardest though!

So this was super easy to make. I browned the butter while it was melting (accidentally) and that was an excellent mistake because it gave everything a rich buttery flavor even though I didn't use very much. Other than that, this was pretty bland and we were pretty disappointed. It might be good if spiced more, and it DEFINITELY needs an onion. I don't know why I didn't realize it didn't have an onion in it. It needs it. We wouldn't make this again.

kitchari

Kitchari with Cauliflower and Peas
Vegetarian Times, January 2009

This nourishing dish resembles risotto in texture. If you don’t have ghee, you can substitute regular butter.

2 Tbs. plus 1½ tsp. ghee, divided
½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 cups cauliflower florets
½ cup basmati rice, rinsed
1/3 cup split mung beans
¾ tsp. turmeric
½ cup frozen baby peas, defrosted
1 tsp. salt

1. Heat 2 Tbs. ghee in saucepan over medium-high heat. When ghee is hot, stir in ginger and cumin seeds. Fry cumin seeds a few seconds, then add cauliflower, and stir-fry 4 minutes, until cauliflower is slightly browned and partially cooked. Stir in rice and beans, and fry 1 minute. Add 3½ cups water and turmeric and bring to full boil over high heat.

2. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes.

3. Add peas and salt, and continue cooking 5 minutes, or until rice and beans are soft. Stir in remaining 1½ tsp. ghee just before serving.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: