This seemed like a nice, summery dish to welcome in the weather so I scheduled it in, and then the hot weather disappeared and I went ahead and made it anyway.
This was very yummy and Gibby especially loved the vinaigrette. The only complaint is that since it's deconstructed, we had to cut everything up and mix it up at the table. We are lazy, and that is why this was a problem. We would make it again though. It was really yummy.
Moving Challenge: I used up a ball of fresh mozzarella, the rest of our linguine, and a red onion. Two weeks left!
No photo yet because Gibby was running late to work.
Grilled Veggie Pasta Salad
Family Circle, 6/14/05
1/3 cup white-wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Vegetables and Pasta:
2 sweet red peppers (about 1 pound), cored, seeded, sliced 1 inch wide
2 medium-size zucchini (about 1 pound), sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
1 medium-size summer squash (about 1/2 pound), sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
1 large red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
3 medium-size tomatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), cored and halved crosswise
1 pound linguine, cooked following package directions
1/4 cup firmly packed fresh basil, rinsed, dried, cut into thin strips
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1. Dressing: In medium-size bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle in oil, whisking until oil is thoroughly incorporated. Stir in garlic, thyme and oregano. Set aside half of the dressing.
2. Vegetables and Pasta: Prepare outdoor grill with medium-hot coals or heat gas grill to medium-high. Lightly brush grill with vegetable oil. Generously brush peppers, zucchini, squash, onion and tomatoes with some of the remaining dressing.
3. Grill vegetables in batches about 3 minutes per side or until tender, about 18 minutes total. Brush vegetables with additional dressing halfway through grilling. Remove vegetables from the grill; keep warm.
4. In large bowl, toss together cooked pasta with reserved half of dressing and any remaining dressing used for grilling vegetables. Toss in basil and mozzarella cheese. Arrange grilled vegetables over top. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 6 servings.
4. Stovetop Method: Heat stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan lightly with vegetable oil. Generously brush vegetables with some of the remaining dressing as above. Working in batches, cook vegetables about 3 minutes per side or until fork-tender. Brush with additional dressing halfway through cooking.
Yield: 6 servings