Sunday, March 15, 2009

Boston Baked Beans

Usually I made an Irish themed meal on St. Patrick's Day, but I won't be able to cook on Tuesday so I did it tonight. I didn't have a whole lot of Irish recipes to pull from though so as the main part of our meal I picked this main-dish vegetarian baked bean recipe from Boston. Not Irish, but close enough!

I got the recipe from my boss's spiritual CSA newsletter and decided to try it. I didn't bother cooking dried beans, even though I do have a lot of dried white beans from them. Instead I got some canned white beans to save time. I had some traditional molasses but figured I'd try blackstrap, not knowing what it even is. Here is an article about the difference. It'll be nice to have both in the house. I also reduced the amount of butter by a lot, which made no difference, and I used vegetable stock instead of the bean water + bouillon cube mixture.

This was quick to put together and baked for forever. It never really thickened but that was ok. I liked it a lot. I've missed baked beans because most recipes require bacon. It was a yummy little meal. Not one we'll make again though.

beans

Boston Baked Beans
from Bean Banquets by Patricia R. Gregory via Spiritual Foods CSA

This traditional early American dish originated in Boston, but its
popularity spread throughout the land. The meatless version is delicious.


1 lb navy or pea beans
2 onions chopped
1/4 lb butter
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
3 tablespoons fructose sugar (or any sugar)
1/4 c blackstrap molasses
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp white pepper
salt

Cook beans according to basic directions. Drain and reserve broth.

In large saucepan, sauté onions in butter over med heat until soft and
golden, about 10 minutes.

Dissolve bouillon in 1 cup of the hot bean broth and add to saucepan with
all remaining ingredients including drained beans.

Mix well, bring to a boil, and pour into 1 1/2 to 2 qt bean pot or ceramic
ovenproof dish.

Bake, uncovered, in 325 oven about 1 1/2 hours. Stir every 20 minutes and
add more bean broth if it becomes too dry. Beans should remain moist.

Serves 6.

Suggested to serve with good brown bread and cole slaw.

No comments: