Thursday, February 12, 2009

Vegetable Gyoza and Edamame Succotash

I saw the edamame mixture at the grocery store a few weeks back so I bought it because I remembered seeing this recipe in Vegetarian Times, and then I found some gyoza so I bought those too. And I just now got around to making it! It took about 15 minutes, which was nice. I thought it was yummy, but he was not a fan. I'm not sure why. I think the gyoza was a little bit gingery (it was a shrimp gyoza from Trader Joe's) and maybe that was it? I'm not sure. I liked it, but since he did not we will not make it again.

Vegetable Gyoza and Edamame Succotash
Vegetarian Times, 2/09

Gyoza are crescent-shaped Japanese dumplings (sometimes called pot stickers) that can be steamed or pan-fried and are usually served as an appetizer. Here, they are stir-fried with frozen edamame succotash and topped with a black bean sauce for a spicy main dish. If you can't find edamame succotash in your freezer section, feel free to use any regular frozen succotash.

Chili-Soy Dressing
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp rinsed and chopped dried fermented black beans (or 1 tsp black bean sauce)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
1 tsp chili oil

Gyoza Succotash
2 tsp canola oil, divided
8 frozen vegetable gyoza
1 16oz package frozen edamame succotash mix
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)

1. To make Chili-Soy Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

2. To make Gyoza Succotash: Heat 1 tsp canola oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and add gyoza. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned on bottoms. Add 1/4 cup water to pan, cover, and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer gyoza to plate, and pour remaining oil in pan.

3. Add succotash, and saute vegetables 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cilantro, green onions, gyoza, and Chili-Soy Dressing. Toss to combine and serve warm.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: