Saturday, February 07, 2009

Spiced Lentil Tacos

Another thing that I got in my boss's CSA was a huge bag of lentils. I already had lentils in my pantry, but these are spiritual lentils. See?

lentils

I also happened to find this recipe fairly recently for lentil tacos. Basically it's just using lentils in place of beef, but it's delicious. It was really, really yummy. The chipotle cream on top was very yummy as well. We also had some fresh cantaloupe to go along with the meal and it was wonderful too. It was a very good meal. Definitely a make-again.

I used the Old El Paso Stand & Stuff taco shells, and since they need to be heated a little before serving, I performed my secret trick for how to make tacos awesome: I put the cheese into the shell while it warms up. That way, you get cheese in every bite and it doesn't fall out with the rest of the toppings. Plus melted cheese is yummy.

One more note: I discovered Old El Paso taco seasoning (the one I've always used) has trans fat in it. Why? Why does a seasoning have trans fat? That's ridiculous and stupid. I am going to be switching to Penzeys' Taco Seasoning from now on. It doesn't have all the extra crap ingredients.

tacos

Spiced Lentil Tacos
Self, Feb 2009

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
1 package (2.25 ounce) taco seasoning
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped (use half for less heat)
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
8 taco shells
1 1/4 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat (2 percent) cheddar

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and salt until onion begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add lentils and taco seasoning. Cook until spices are fragrant and lentils are dry, about 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Mix sour cream, chile and adobo sauce in a bowl. Uncover lentils and cook until mixture thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Mash with a rubber spatula. Spoon 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell. Top with 2 heaping teaspoons sour cream mixture, lettuce, tomato and cheese.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: