Monday, February 23, 2009

French Toast

This is super fast and super easy and is apparently exceptionally delicious if you like french toast. I do not. I always think I do, and then when I eat it, I realize I don't. Why? It's too eggy. And if any of the bread is too mushy then I get paranoid and think I'm eating raw egg and it freaks me out and I don't like it. He, however, LOVED this recipe. So I think my dislike of it is really just because I don't like french toast. If you like it, you will like this recipe.

I cheated and didn't do the "stick it in the oven for 30 seconds" thing that Alton Brown says to do. Maybe if I had watched the episode, I would know why he says to do that, but oh well. I also made it in my cast iron skillet instead of in a nonstick pan, and I think that's totally the way to go.

Edit: I posted this picture and then got grossed out because it looks shiny like I didn't cook it all the way. I did. The egg is cooked. It is shiny because of all the maple syrup he poured on his plate. Maybe no one else noticed this, but I did so I had to clarify.

frenchy

French Toast
Alton Brown

1 cup half-and-half
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (1/2-inch) slices day-old or stale country loaf, brioche or challah bread
4 tablespoons butter

In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, and salt. You may do this the night before. When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan, and allow to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.

Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan. Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices. Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: