Sunday, January 04, 2009

Pizza Bread

We've had a bit of overkill on the sugar lately so for our baked good this week I thought I'd made some pizza bread. Basically it's just bread flavored like a pizza. It's very simple. If you don't have a breadmaker, you could mix it all by hand and then knead it for about 10-15 minutes, then let it rise. Just like the person's notes said, mine took forever to rise - in fact, it didn't even really rise after 2 hours, so I just baked it as it was. It's good, it just isn't great. It's a little dense, mostly because of the lack of rising, but the flavor is nice. Not a make-again though.

Notes are included from the original posters on the Cooking Light boards because the recipe is so short and their suggestions are good.

bread

Pizza Bread
CLBB (bobmark)

1-1/4 cups tomato or V-8 juice
2 Tbps. vegetable oil (used olive oil)
1/2 egg (used the yolk)
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
1 Tbsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
3 cups bread flour
1-1/2 tsps. instant yeast

Prepare in bread machine.

Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.

Bob's Notes: very slow rising, took a full two hours, maybe increase the yeast next time. I mistakenly used a half cup of cheese, but didn't need to add any additional flour because the whole wheat might have balanced it out.

Susan's notes: I didn't find mine to be slow-rising at all, so I only let it go for 1 hour. I also used 1/2 cup of cheese, a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic in place of the garlic powder, and 1 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning in place of the basil and oregano. My dough was very sticky (it might should have had another 1/2 cup of flour added, but I didn't), so I was concerned about the cooking time. I baked it for 40 minutes, and that caused a really brown crust--not hard, but really brown. I suggest 30-35 minutes.

No comments: