Thursday, January 08, 2009

Muhammara

This dip sounded so unique that I obviously had to try it. I didn't have any pomegranate molasses so I mixed some POM Wonderful Pomegranate juice with some sugar and lemon juice. If you want to make it in mass quantities, this is the recipe I used. However I didn't really bother making it syrupy because I only needed two teaspoons for this recipe.

This was super-fast to make. We had it with some couscous and Pita Chips. It was yummy but it was a little overpowering after awhile. I would make it again for a party or something but I don't think it should be consumed in such large quantities.

muhammara

Muhammara
Gourmet, December 1993

7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
2/3 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted lightly and chopped fine
2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
toasted pita triangles as an accompaniment

In a food processor blend together the peppers, the bread crumbs, the walnuts, the garlic, the lemon juice, the pomegranate molasses, the cumin, the red pepper flakes, and salt to taste until the mixture is smooth and with the motor running add the oil gradually. Transfer the muhammara to a bowl and serve it at room temperature with the pita triangles.

Yield: 1 3/4 cup

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is one of my favorite recipes of all time! I end up drizzling in the oil until it's a good thickness - I probably don't use as much as it calls for. And if you top it with a little feta...delicious! It's always a huge hit at parties (especially among garlic lovers!)