Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

I woke up this morning prepared to make Michelle Obama's apple cobbler recipe in honor of our new president, only to discover that I had misread the recipe and I'd only bought 3 apples instead of the 8 required. Not even close. So I decided to make this cookie recipe instead. It doesn't use butter! I haven't made a butter-free cookie in a long time. This uses just a small amount of oil. It makes a deliciously crisp and chewy cookie. I used some nice milk chocolate chips, and it was yummy. I froze some for my friend Annie, who just had a baby, because I've decided I need to hoard food for her. We have eaten many of the rest. These are tasty cookies that I would definitely make again.

cookie

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Cooking Light, 12/08

This simple mix-and-drop dough comes together in minutes and may not even require a shopping trip, thanks to its pantry-friendly ingredients.

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
12 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 2/3 cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate minichips

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in minichips. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on 2 baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 3 dozen

1 comment:

Annie said...

I am just catching up on your blog and must second the yumminess of these cookies! And the stresseul muffins. Yum. :) I am glad you have been hoarding food for me!