Monday, December 22, 2008

The Best Sugar Cookies Ever

This recipe is not going in the index. If you aren't special enough to be reading this right now, you'll never know I posted it. This is my mom's secret recipe for sugar cookies. Actually it's a Betty Crocker recipe but my mom has been making it for my entire life. They are popular cookies. She has sold them at auctions and knows how to decorate them really well. I don't. I can't even frost cookies properly so I skipped that and just sprinkled mine with some colored sugar.

I've made these a couple times on my own, and after tonight I have reached the horrifying conclusion that I am never going to be able to make them right. It will never be just like my mom's. I made some too thin so they're too crispy, I made some too thick so they're too soft, some burned around the edges, and only a few are perfectly fine. I'm taking them to my internship tomorrow and I'm kind of disappointed in myself that I'm bringing an inferior product that should have been amazing.

Hopefully if you try these (and you should) you will have better luck and yours will taste more like my mom's. And if you screw up, maybe some day you'll have a chance to go to my parents' house and eat some of my mom's cookies.

P.S. I finished the Marshmallows and they're set to go in gift bags!

cookie

The Best Sugar Cookies Ever
Diann McChesney & Betty Crocker

Warning: These cookies are addictive!

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Mix powdered sugar, margarine, egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix in flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 375°. Divide dough into halves. Roll each half 3/16" thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board. Cut into shapes. (You can re-roll and cut the dough 2 or 3 times before it starts to taste flour-y). Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are light brown, about 7-8 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. Let cool on cooling rack.

Frost with Cookie Frosting: 1 cup sifted powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 1/2 Tbsp milk. Add milk gradually to get desired consistency....may need more or less. Tint with food coloring.

May do detailing with Royal Icing: 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 egg white, 3 or 4 drops lemon juice (or 1/4 tsp cream of tartar). Mix until smooth and creamy. It should be a bit thicker than the cookie frosting was. It will harden. (You may use dried egg whites mixed with water if concerned about egg safety).

Yield: 5 dozen

1 comment:

Annie said...

Ha, I got it! I can't wait to try it. :-) And so sad I won't be at Frost tomorrow. :(