Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008 Round-Up

Alright, I've posted the new recipes individually but here's the big round-up. I also posted links to recipes my mom made prior to us arriving in Connecticut since I can't take credit for them.

So. Here is the table.
table

Here is what happened on Thanksgiving. We cooked a lot of things, and then 30 minutes before we were going to eat, the ovens broke. Both of them.
ovens

Everything cooked properly though so it was OK. My parents fried their turkey, which people seem to enjoy.
turkey

turkey2

Obviously since I don't eat turkey, I needed lots of other food! So on we go to the side dishes.

sprouts
Baby Brussels Sprouts with Buttered Pecans

cornbread
Orange Cornmeal Bread

casserole
Green Bean Casserole

carrots
Steamed Carrots with Garlic-Ginger Butter - not delicious; too gingery and limey and we used baby carrots so it was just disappointing.

cauliflower
Roasted Cauliflower with Fresh Herbs and Parmesan

jello
Cranberry-Pineapple Minis - not great either but I'm not a fan of Jello

relish
This is some kind of cranberry relish my mom made but I don't know where it came from.

salad
Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola, Pistachios, and Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette

balls
Gibby's mom, Nancy, made sweet potato balls.

casserole
She also made sweet potato casserole.

stuffing
My mom's herb stuffing which I think is loosely based on a Betty Crocker recipe

potatoes
My mom's mashed potatoes

And then of course there are the desserts!
toffee
Pumpkin Caramel Toffee Pie

squares
Pecan Squares

My mom also made our Cranberry-Oatmeal Bars and her cheeseball but we didn't take pictures of those.

And then of course we have the day-after Thanksgiving Magic Bowl.
bowl

So what did we learn this Thanksgiving? Our tried-and-true recipes were the best. Interesting.

No comments: