Saturday, November 08, 2008

Orange Cornmeal Bread

Oh my god, this is so good. I want to eat it forever. It is so delicious. I had been looking for just a basic cornbread to go with our soup for dinner, and I found this recipe, which also uses orange juice. I figured it would be a very orangey bread, but I was wrong. It's delicious because the orange flavor is very muted and enhances all of the other flavors. It is wonderful. I want to go eat another piece. We will definitely make this again. This may even be a Thanksgiving contender.

Note: For some reason, Giant was sold out of buttermilk, so I bought some fat-free Fage Greek Yogurt and used that instead. I think this was the best choice of all time and will continue to make it that way.

bread

Orange Cornmeal Bread
Cooking Light Bulletin Boards

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1 navel orange
1 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400. Heavily grease and flour an 8x8 inch baking pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.

In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and the juice of the orange. Add the buttermilk and the melted butter and whisk together.

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, using a wooden spoon to combine.
Spoon into the prepared pan. Bake for 27-30 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Cool and slice.

1 comment:

Diann/Mom said...

This sounds wonderful!!!! Reading this made me hungry... have to go get a snack... :-)