Saturday, November 08, 2008

Mexican Butternut Squash Soup

I thought this would be a nice, simple dinner tonight. Something about it really bothered me. I still haven't been able to figure it out. Something smelled weird to me, and tasted weird to me... I don't know. I didn't like it. I wouldn't make this again.

The only changes were that I used the corn instead of hominy, and I added a little shot of cayenne pepper along with the chili powder.

soup

Mexican Butternut Squash Soup
Cooking Light, 11/97

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 3/4 pound)
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sliced seeded poblano chile or 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 cups Fresh Vegetable Broth or water
1 (15.5-ounce) can white hominy or whole-kernel corn, drained
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add squash and next 6 ingredients (squash through chili powder); sauté minutes. Add broth and hominy; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: