Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cream Cheese Lemon Bars with Kit Kat Crust

I had a lot of Halloween candy left over because no children ever come to our house. I used a lot of the mini Butterfingers to make the Butterfinger truffles, so then we needed to find a use for the Kit-Kats. Today just happened to be a coworker's birthday, so yesterday we whipped up these bars. They are interesting because they use ground-up Kit-Kats as the crust, yet the chocolate flavor is not pronounced. Which is a good thing since chocolate and lemon don't really go very well together. The Kit-Kats make a very nice crust and the lemon-cheesecake filling is very yummy. I think I added a little too much lemon extract because it was crazy lemony, but it was good (I had to try them before taking them to work!). The coworkers seemed to like them too. Probably not a make-again, but a great way to use up candy!!

kitkat

Cream Cheese Lemon Bars with Kit Kat Crust
RecipeGirl via Cookie Madness

CRUST:
Five 1.5oz. Kit Kat Bars (or about 14 mini-sized Kit Kat Bars)

FILLING:
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, measure then sift
1 large egg
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
1½ tsp lemon zest

TOPPING:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
½ tsp additional lemon extract
2 Tbsp butter, softened

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Prepare the crust: In the food processor, finely chop the Kit Kat Bars. Spread evenly in the bottom of a greased 8x8-inch square pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Set aside.

Prepare filling: In a large bowl with electric mixer, blend cream cheese on high. Add powdered sugar and egg and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add lemon juice, lemon extract and lemon zest, and mix well. Pour filling evenly over Kit Kat crust.

Prepare topping: In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon extract, and softened butter, and blend with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over lemon bar filling.

Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.

RecipeGirl Notes: I lined my pan w/ parchment paper with the hope that I would be able to lift it cleanly out of the pan and place it on a cutting board for slicing. After an overnight chill in the fridge, I had a slight bit of trouble getting the whole thing out without breaking it apart. Next time I would grease the pan, then put parchment in and grease the parchment and sides too. I still think that would work better than just greasing the pan and then trying to get nice, clean slices out of the pan.

Yield: 16-20 bars

3 comments:

Anna said...

My husband really liked these, but I'm not sure I'd make them again either. And I left out the lemon extract! I really think Kit Kats are best eaten as is ;)

RecipeGirl said...

Glad you liked them :) It's always fun to try new recipes with favorite candies!

lisa said...

I wanted to pass along this recipe i found. They look amazing and unhealthy. I'm going to make them as one of the many things i bake for xmas. :)

http://thecrepesofwrath.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/frosted-sugar-cookie-bars/#more-415