Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Chocolate Buttercrunch Coffeecake

Yesterday at my internship, we had a little "Thanksgiving Dinner" for lunch (it's a special-needs high school). As I mentioned on Sunday, I made two desserts to bring in, since I am Lauren and I like to bake.

I have to go off on a tangent here for a moment. I ate so much at our "dinner" that when I got home, I never wanted to eat again. So I abandoned making what I had planned for dinner, and then I headed out to co-lead a family therapy group. So he was unfed. And so he made his own dinner, which was an egg and cheese bagel sandwich. He wants me to tell you that he put stuff like onion powder and cayenne pepper in his eggs and they were delicious. He also took a picture.

bagel

OK back to the desserts.

The Mandarin Cream Delight went over very well. I expected it to be more popular with staff since it involves fruit, but the kids seemed to like it. One student ate FOUR pieces and then asked for the recipe. That was cute.

The other thing I made was this bundt cake. It is a vanilla-based cake with swirls of chocolate chips, toffee pieces, pecans, and brown sugar. It is topped with a maple-sugar glaze. It is not as healthy as the orange dessert. But it came out beautifully and people said they liked it a lot, and that made me happy. I thought it was delicious as well. I am taking the leftovers to my family today! We're driving up to CT for Thanksgiving, so posts will be sporadic! Look for a big huge Thanksgiving post with things we make for Thanksgiving though! There will be some delicious new pies and side dishes and I am very excited.

bundt

Chocolate Buttercrunch Coffeecake
www.robinhood.ca

1 pkg SKOR®* Toffee Bits
1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp brown sugar, packed

Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

PREHEAT oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 10” (25 cm) bundt pan.

COMBINE toffee bits, semi-sweet chocolate chips, pecans and brown sugar in bowl. Set aside.

BEAT butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of buttermilk.

SPREAD 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 of toffee bits mixture. Continue with two more layers of batter and filling, ending with filling.

BAKE in centre of preheated oven for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 16-18 servings

Optional Icing

For a quick-and-easy glaze; whisk together ½ cup (125 mL) icing sugar, 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup and 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla. Pour over cake, letting excess drip down sides of cake.

Tip:

The darker your pan, the quicker your cake (or cookies or scones) will bake, so always check to see if ready at the first indicated time if there is a range, or 5 minutes before the specified time.

No comments: