Saturday, October 04, 2008

Denise's Corn Casserole

Tonight we made Crispy Tilapia Sandwiches again, and they were very yummy.

But the real star of our dinner was this corn casserole. The recipe was given to me by Denise, care of her mom (Thanks Mrs. Neal!). I have to be honest - I almost didn't make it when I saw the ingredients. A stick of butter? Jiffy corn muffin mix contains ingredients I am ashamed to even post here. But I did my best to make it slightly healthier... low-fat sour cream, low sodium corn... still used the full stick of butter. But it's OK because it makes a GIGANTIC pan of casserole. It is absolutely delicious and I would definitely make it again. The leftovers are going to last us all week so that's excellent. Maybe I can try to figure out a way to make it healthier. I don't know. It's really good.

corn

Denise's Corn Casserole

1 can of cream of corn
1 can of whole corn, drained
8 oz sour cream
One stick of butter
1 egg
1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix

Mix it all together, pour into greased 9x11 casserole dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the casserole will not come out clean due to the mixture of sour cream/butter/creamed corn, but as long as it’s not wiggly you should be fine.

Yield: a lot

2 comments:

Denise said...

I'm glad you made it and that it was good!
I use fat free sour cream as well. The butter more than makes up for the fat I'm losing in the sour cream.

Denise said...

Maybe making your own kind of cornbread mixture using cornmeal instead of Jiffy would make it a healthier alternative. Like, cornmeal and whole wheat flour or something.