Monday, September 15, 2008

Tomato Florentine Soup

As I mentioned on Saturday, we've been wanting grilled cheese. And tomato soup. So tonight I made both. We had just a basic grilled cheese (bread, cheese, butter, yum?) and then I tried out a new recipe for the tomato soup. This one is interesting because it has some pasta and spinach in the mix. I didn't have enough vegetable broth (only about 3/4 cup) so I compensated with some water and it was not noticeable. I also threw in some red pepper flakes when I added the garlic. This gave it a nice, mild kick.

Yes, I know I made soup last night too. But we like soup!!!

So how did it go over? I thought it was pretty good and I would eat it again, although I got bored about halfway through. But it's OK. We both liked it, so I would make it again.

florentine

Tomato Florentine Soup
CL, March 2005

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup water
2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8-ounce) can no salt-added tomato sauce
2/3 cup uncooked small seashell pasta
2 cups bagged prewashed spinach
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a small Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Add water, broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer; cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pasta; cook 8 minutes. Add spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts and pasta is done. Stir in pepper and salt. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls; top with cheese.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: