Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Sweet Pea and Potato Pasta

I had like an hour between work and my night class today so I figured I'd throw together this quick dinner. But it was fraught with disaster... the water would not boil. It just would not. It took so freaking long. I got my dinner on the plate 4 minutes before I had to be out the door, shoveled it into my mouth, and then ran out to class. I made it in time, for your information.

I THINK dinner was good, but it wasn't very special. It could have had more seasoning. We probably won't make it again.

pasta

Sweet Pea and Potato Pasta
Real Simple, May 2008

12 ounces (3/4 box) fettuccine
6 extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
Kosher salt and pepper
2 pounds garden peas in their pods (2 cups shelled)
6 scallions, trimmed and chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and toss with 4 tablespoons of the oil.

While the pasta cooks, place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a simmer. Add 1 tablespoon salt and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.

Shell the peas.

When the potatoes have 2 minutes left to cook, add the peas to the pot.

Drain the vegetables and transfer to the pot with the pasta. Stir in the scallions, 1/4 cup Parmesan, the remaining oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Divide among individual bowls and top with the remaining Parmesan.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: