Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Soba Salad with Soy-Wasabi Vinaigrette

I saw this recipe posted on Joe's Blog recently and thought, "Oh man, I want to make that but I'll never find chukka soba." So I didn't put it on my meal plan that week. And then, of course, I discovered a lone package of chukka soba in the International Foods aisle at Giant. I purchased it so I could make it this week. So tonight we had our chukka soba.

Chukka soba noodles are basically ramen noodles, minus the flavor packet. In a pinch, you could definitely use ramen noodles. I liked the chukka soba noodles though because they were a little more substantial than ramen. Anyway. The recipe turned out just alright - not great. We liked the noodles and the veggies, but something about the sauce was a little off. Maybe our wasabi isn't strong enough? I don't know. We thought the dish was interesting, but not a make-again.

soba

Soba Salad with Soy-Wasabi Vinaigrette
Joe's Blog, adapted from Cooking Light

6 ounces dry Japanese curly noodles (labeled as chucka soba)
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
4 ounces snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
4 ounces whole baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon prepared wasabi paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
1 garlic clove, minced

In a large pot of boiling salted water, add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cool water - drain well.

Add edamame, peas and carrots into a steamer basket and steam until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Shock vegetables in icy water to rapidly cool them down - drain well.

In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, oil, wasabi and garlic. Add noodles, steamed vegetables and radishes - toss gently to coat to serve.

Yield: 3-4 servings

No comments: