Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tijuana Torta

Today has been a ridiculously hectic day so it was great that I had planned for a super-easy, super-quick dinner. Popped some tater tots in the oven, and while we were vacuuming up messes and taking care of a sick dog and balancing checkbooks, I whipped together our dinner. It's really easy, but it's not exciting. I guess it's a trade-off. Dinner in 5 minutes worked for me tonight.

Please ignore the fact that I covered my tater tots in mayonnaise. I tried to crop it out of the picture (which we had to take with my camera since the battery died) but it's still there. I love mayonnaise.

tijuana

Tijuana Torta
Eating Well via Joe's Blog

15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons habanero and lime salsa (or use your favorite kind)
1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeño
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 ripe avocado, pitted
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon lime juice
16" baguette
1 1/3 cups shredded romaine lettuce or green cabbage

In a medium bowl, mash together beans, salsa, jalapeño and cumin.

In a small bowl, mash together avocado, onion and lime juice.

Slice baguette into 4 equal lengths and split each piece in half horizontally. For easier stuffing, you can pull out most of the soft bread from the center, but this is not required.

Evenly divide the bean mixture, avocado mixture and romaine among the sandwiches to serve.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: