Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sweet Corn Dutch Baby

Inspired by Denise, who recently told me about her ventures in making Dutch Babies, I decided to try this recipe that I've had for awhile. I've never made it because I never had a cast iron skillet, but now that I have one thanks to Steven, I can make it!

I came home with a wicked migraine and was ready to just head to Taco Bell - especially when I saw that the recipe required a food processor! And then after I decided to just go ahead and make it, I spilled powdered sugar all over the dining room. Way to go, me! But once I got myself together, it was ready to eat in 15 minutes. It comes out of the oven all puffy and sinks down within a minute or two, and because the skillet is seasoned it doesn't stick and comes right on out. We put some powdered sugar and cinnamon on ours, and had some apple sauce on the side. It was really good and we enjoyed it, but we probably won't make it again.

baby

Sweet Corn Dutch Baby
Cooking Light, August 2003

More like a pancake than a snack, this is a great option for a weekend brunch.

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
3/4 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup light sour cream

Preheat oven to 450°.

Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in oven for 10 minutes.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, corn, milk, sugar, and salt in a food processor; process until smooth. Add eggs; pulse 5 times to combine.

Add butter to preheated pan, tipping to coat bottom and sides of pan. Pour corn mixture into pan. Bake at 450° for 14 minutes or until the mixture is set and lightly browned.

Sprinkle with the powdered sugar and the cinnamon. Cut into 4 wedges, and serve with applesauce and sour cream.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: