Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chicken-Fried Portobello Mushrooms with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Tonight we made Chicken-Fried Portobello Mushrooms with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. I have made this many times over the years - the first time was probably 2001 or 2002. I think it was 2001. It was one of the first things I cooked (with my mom's help) once I realized that I actually wanted to learn how to cook instead of just watching cooking shows on TV.

The brilliant thing about this recipe is that it really does replicate the Southern classic of chicken-fried steak (one of my favorites before I went vegetarian), just with a mushroom in place of the steak. I love it! I screwed it up tonight because I didn't cook them long enough, but that's ok. It was still good! Make sure you cook them long enough so they're cooked all the way through!

I also try so hard to lighten the recipe... I use significantly less butter, light cream (and less of it), and put less gravy on the plate than the recipe planned for. I think this works out well, except it does yield a thinner gravy than heavy cream would produce. So it's really up to you. Even with less butter and cream, the mashed potatoes are some of the best I've ever had.

mushroom

No comments: