Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fresh Pasta

I've been reading a lot about homemade pasta lately. I have Giada's pasta book, I have a new cookbook about pasta that I got from a cookbook swap, and there was a huge article about making homemade pasta in last month's Cooking Light. So of course I decided I should learn to make pasta. I decided to pick an easy recipe to begin with, so I picked Giada's.

This was apparently a terrible choice. I am not sure if the recipe was written incorrectly and is missing an ingredient (such as water), but the "dough" was horribly dry and crumbly. I managed to smush it out and form it into little pasta nuggets, so I figured we were OK. But no! I was wrong! The pasta WOULD NOT COOK THROUGH. We must have boiled it for like 20 minutes, and the center just would not cook. Fresh pasta should only take a few minutes to cook. Not only that, but once it was boiling, it smelled strongly of eggs and was quite off-putting. I ended up pouring out the still-uncooked pasta and throwing in a bag of penne, since I had already reheated our Vodka Cream Pasta that we made and froze a couple months ago.

Which, by the way, was also a terrible idea. The Vodka Cream Pasta loses its flavor and specialness when it is frozen and then reheated.

Ugh.

No photo since I don't think anyone wants to see a picture of my garbage can.

Fresh Pasta
Giada de Laurentiis

3 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil

Place the flour in a food processor. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the salt and olive oil to the eggs and stir to combine. Add the egg mixture to the food processor. Pulse to combine the ingredients, scraping down the sides once or twice. Continue, with the machine running, until the liquid is evenly distributed, about 1 minute. The dough should stick together if pinched between your fingers. The dough will be cornmeal-yellow in color. Some of the dough will be sticking together, but it will not form a single ball.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Press the dough into a ball and knead gently until the dough is smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.

Roll out the dough to your desired shape.

Yield: 22 oz.

1 comment:

Tastes Like Snozzberries said...

I have Giada's pasta book too but i've yet to try any of the recipes (b/c I'm lazy and hate cooking anything that takes longer than 5 minutes) Have you tried any from the book that you recommend?

My big attempt at cooking will be this this which i'm making tomorrow. I know you don't eat meat but one of the comments under the recipe says that the recipe will work with tofu.