Saturday, April 26, 2008

Green Papaya Salad

This is from a Guy Fieri recipe called Green Papaya Salad and Lemongrass Chicken. As I do not eat chicken, I decided to just try the green papaya salad part. I've had green papaya salad before at Thai restaurants and loved it so I was very excited. To give it a little extra substance, I sauteed some shrimp in olive oil, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass and served that on top.

Notes: I could not find a green papaya so we used a red papaya. I don't think it changed the result much. I've never used papaya in cooking before so that was something fun. All you have to do is cut the papaya in half, scoop out the seeds, and peel it. It looks really hard to cut, like a butternut squash, but it's not. It's very soft. OK enough about the papaya. I also could not find a daikon radish so I omitted that, but that's OK because they are not my favorite anyway. And at the end, I squeezed a little lime juice on top and sprinkled it with some red pepper flakes. I highly recommend doing this because it adds a nice extra flavor.

We really liked this a lot. Guy Fieri has fantastic recipes. I would like to try other green papaya salad recipes sometime, but this will be our standby because it's very good.

papaya

Green Papaya Salad
Adapted from Green Papaya Salad and Lemongrass Chicken
on Guy's Big Bite with Guy Fieri

For the Papaya Salad:
3 cups julienne green Papayas
1 cup julienne carrot
1 English cucumber, julienne
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1 cup julienne diakon radish
1/2 cup julienne scallions, 2-inch pieces
1/4 cup chiffonade fresh mint leaves

For the Asian Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons mirin
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon chili sauce
1/4 cup olive oil

Chopped Peanuts
Chopped scallions

Mix all ingredients, toss with vinaigrette, chill and serve in 30 minutes.

Garnish with peanuts and scallions.

Yield: 6-8 servings

No comments: