Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spicy Thai Curried Lentils

This was a quick and simple recipe from an old issue of Woman's Day magazine that has a lot of super-healthy ingredients and only a little bit of fat from the coconut milk (I used light coconut milk). In a rare occurrence, we had a drastic difference of opinion! I liked it a lot; he ate about half of it and then declared that he did not like it at all. I asked him what he didn't like so I could write about it here, but he has no idea. He thinks that maybe he doesn't like lentils, or maybe it was too spicy (I agree it was crazy spicy because I added a ton of the curry paste). He also thinks it may be because of all his eye drops from the Lasik, because they're making things taste weird. Regardless of the reason, he was not a fan. That's too bad. I would have made it again!

Yo, I used fresh herbs!
lentils

Spicy Thai Curried Lentils

1 cup brown lentils ,picked over and rinsed
1 can (14 oz) vegetable broth
1 cup canned lite coconut milk (not cream of coconut), stirred well before measuring
1 1/2 Tbsp red curry paste or 2 tsp red curry powder
3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut in 3/4-inch chunks
1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup each: basil, finely shredded, and cilantro leaves, finely chopped

Mix lentils, broth, coconut milk, and curry in a large saucepan. Simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes until lentils are almost tender.

Place cauliflower, sweet potato, and red pepper on lentils. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 10-12 minutes until vegetables and lentils are tender. Sprinkle servings with the basil and cilantro.

Yield: 4 servings

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one who had cataract surgery on both eyes, I can see how Gibby's taste could be affected by all those eye drops. As a matter of fact, I practically lost my sense of taste for a while. I started to take B complex vitamins, and my taste then returned.

Gibby said...

My multivitamin has the B complex vitamins, so I will not lose my sense of taste. I hope. It is good to know that my taste can be affected by the eyes drops, now I know I am not just crazy. I would like to try it again, when my taste returns.