Sunday, March 16, 2008

Rigatoni with Swiss Chard

This super-simple recipe comes from Martha Stewart Living. It reminds me how much I miss that magazine. I let my subscription lapse last year, after years of obsessively reading it, because I didn't want to spend the money. I think I will renew my subscription and start getting it again.

So as you might suspect, we really enjoyed this recipe. It is very simple and it's healthy with all the swiss chard. I used part-skim ricotta and half the butter and oil as extra precautions. I also added a little extra red pepper (don't I always?). We both agreed it was very delicious and we would make it again.

chard

Rigatoni with Swiss Chard

Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound rigatoni or other tubular pasta
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard, leaves cut into 1/2-inch strips and stems cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1/3 cup pine nuts (about 1 1/2 ounces), toasted
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons salt and the pasta; cook 3 minutes less than package indicates. Drain.

2. Heat butter and oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat about 1 minute. Add garlic and shallots; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in chard, lemon zest, wine, 1 teaspoon salt, and the red pepper flakes; season with pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until chard has just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.

3. Stir in pasta, ricotta, and pine nuts. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, 3 to 4 minutes. Divide among 4 serving dishes. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: