Sunday, March 30, 2008

Mango and Black Bean Salad

While our empanadas were cooking, I threw together this easy salad. It completely blew us away - it is so delicious!!! I haven't had a lot of experience with fresh mangoes, and this was a nice way to become familiar with them. All of the flavors come together so beautifully, it looks amazing, and it is wonderfully tasty. I'm already thinking about the next time I will make this (probably in 2 weeks when my mom visits!).

Notes: We used jarred tomatillo salsa and a red-and-white wild rice & barley blend in place of plain wild rice. Also, in the future I would use a tad less lime juice because the lime flavor was a little bit too strong this time around. If you don't know how to cut a mango, go here and learn how.

OK guys, I know the directions are really complex so if anyone has any questions or needs any clarification, please let me know.

mangoes

Mango and Black Bean Salad
Cooking Light, 3/08

1 1/2 cups chopped peeled ripe mango
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup cooked wild or brown rice
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons roasted tomatillo or fresh salsa
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can organic no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss gently to mix.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: