Sunday, January 20, 2008

Demerara Sugar Peanut Butter Brownies

I saw these posted on the Cooking Light Bulletin Boards and thought they sounded delicious! This is how the poster described them:

I slightly altered a recipe found on the back of a Domino Demerara Sugar (new product) bag to come up with these. I think they are delicious. They are not cakey at all and they don't even have much of a crumb (except on the edges). They are quite dense and "fudgy." They have a great PB taste. I love the "crunchy" demerara topping and the brownies themselves probably also benefitted by a boost from the demerara.

They are nothing fancy. I didn't even use the optional chocolate chips. I guess I just liked the simpleness of them along with their bold taste and unusual crunchy top.


I agree completely. They are deliciously peanut-buttery and have a fantastic texture. I used turbinado sugar instead of demerara since they are similar, and I did not use chocolate chips. Just pure peanut butter bars. They are super-easy, very yummy, and I would definitely make them again.

pb brownies

Demerara Sugar Peanut Butter Brownies
CLBB - Valchemist

1/2 c peanut butter -- not natural PB
1/4 c butter -- at room temperature
1 1/4 c Domino Demerara Washed Raw Sugar
1 1/2 egg -- see directions*
1 1/2 tsps vanilla
1 c flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
chocolate chips or chunks, to taste -- optional
3 tbsps Domino Demerara Washed Raw Sugar -- for topping

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 8x8 pan with release foil or grease the pan. Cream peanut butter, butter, and sugar until light in color. Add 1 egg and blend to combine. Add half and egg and vanilla and blend well. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, soda, and salt. Add to PB mixture and blend until just combined. Stir in chips, if using. Scoop batter into prepared pan and smooth it out. Sprinkle 3 tbsp demerara over the top. Bake 28-30 minutes. Brownies will sink slightly in the center while cooling. Cool completely before cutting.

*To measure half an egg, beat 1 egg in a small bowl with a fork until fairly uniform. measure out slightly less than 2 tbsp of the egg to get half an egg. (1 3/4 tbsp)

Yield: 12 bars

No comments: